[seam-dev] Library version diff between CR1 and CR2

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 12:22:21 EST 2008

>> < /lib,commons-logging.jar,1.1,,
>> > /lib,commons-logging.jar,1.1.1,,
>
> From RF upgrade.

Actually, I put in that change. After inconveniencing the entire Java
community for over two years, someone finally pestered the
commons-logging team enough to remove those completely irrelevant
dependencies from the commons-logging 1.1 POM file. The 1.1.1 release
is nothing more than a change in the POM to mark those dependencies as
optional (so we can remove the exclusions from our own root POM). If
you have used Maven for any length of time, then you are well aware of
these exclusions.

As for the question of sl4j vs commons-logging, as Pete mentioned,
it's not relevant in Seam. Seam uses its own abstraction layer to
choose either log4j or jdk logging at runtime. We are likely going to
research whether we can leverage sl4j in that abstraction (I think
there is an open JIRA), but it's would not be about removing
commons-logging.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.