[seam-dev] Friendly documentation

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:28:50 EST 2008

I kept my wife entertained for a portion of dinner one night reading
her that section. It definitely has some spice, but so does good food.

In all honestly, it's been fun to have that in the docs, but it
probably should be looked at again, even if just to update the
argument. But then again, that is what JIRA is for, to iron out these
sorts of things. +1 for the JIRA issue being filed.

-Dan

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Gavin King <gavin at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Sorry mate, I target my docs to folks with a sense of humor,
>  who don't take all this techno-religious-war crap too
>  seriously.
>

>  On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Sebastian Hennebrueder
>  <usenet at laliluna.de> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  >  in chapter 19 (caching) of the seam documentation, there is the
>  >  following paragraph. In my opinion, it is not at all polite as we call
>  >  them silly, use expressions like 'will try to tell you' and so on.
>  >
>  >  Dealing with other people in that way does not express better technology
>  >  or better knowledge. I would interprete it as being snobbish, subjectiv
>  >  and find that it is not very much convincing. Though I know that the
>  >  core argument is in fact correct.
>  >
>  >  May be it is just me being to sensible, but what is your opinion on this.
>  >
>  >  Best Regards
>  >
>  >  Sebastian Hennebrueder
>  >
>  >  -------
>  >  In almost all enterprise applications, the database is the primary
>  >  bottleneck, and the least scalable tier of the
>  >  runtime environment. People from a PHP/Ruby environment will try to tell
>  >  you that so-called "shared nothing"
>  >  architectures scale well. While that may be literally true, I don't know
>  >  of many interesting multi-user applica-
>  >  tions which can be implemented with no sharing of resources between
>  >  different nodes of the cluster. What these
>  >  silly people are really thinking of is a "share nothing except for the
>  >  database" architecture. ....
>  >
>  >  -------------
>  >  alternative formulation:
>  >  In almost all enterprise applications, the database is the primary
>  >  bottleneck, and the least scalable tier of the runtime environment.
>  >  People from a PHP/Ruby environment state that their lightweigth
>  >  architecture - which is not sharing resources - scales well. We do not
>  >  agree here. A PHP/Ruby will share the database which is in large scale
>  >  application normally already the bottleneck. Lightweight can be fast in
>  >  smaller applications but is not scalable.
>  >
>  >  This chapter explains how Seam uses caching to provide a architecture
>  >  which is fast and scalable at the same time.
>  >  seam-dev mailing list
>  >  seam-dev at lists.jboss.org
>  >

>  --
>  Gavin King
>  gavin.king at gmail.com
>  http://hibernate.org
>  http://jboss.com/products/seam
>  http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Gavin

Daniel Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

Mojavelinux.com: Open Source Advocacy
http://www.mojavelinux.com

While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily basis,
life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail for a
while. If you contact me and then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the filters. Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.