[seam-dev] Seam and monitoring / managing

Sebastian Hennebrueder usenet at laliluna.de
Tue Jul 15 10:06:52 EDT 2008

Heiko W.Rupp schrieb:
> Hi,
>>
>> I already played around to register the component as a normal JMX to
>> allow using it with the JMXConsole.
>>
>> This is a inverse approach as compared to your idea (pulling of
>> statistics) as opposed to pushing it somewhere (in memory or database).
>
> Not really. JBossON / RHQ can read stuff like logfiles, but for
> measurement purposes, this is not optimal.
> So putting the data into an MBean from where we regularly pull it, is
> pretty ok. And with JavaSE5+ having an
> MBeanServer in it, this could even be a general approach.
MBean seams a reasonable approach, it is quite simple to setup and we
could create a kind of management package in seam where all kind of
mbeans to inform or to manage a seam app are packaged.

>  From my point of view (being not too Seam-savvy)  it is important that
> this stuff is easy to add to an
> application to be usable.
>
> The other thing to keep in mind is that Resources that get identified
> within the application need to have
> an unique key. For metrics, we can define "static" ones meaning that
> those are some that are always present
> (e.g. stuff like cache hits of a global seam-like cache or average time
> spent in the seam interceptors or such).
> And then we can have "dynamic" metrics in the sense that they get
> determined at runtime like we currently to
> for http response time data (this is keyed by the Url where the key does
> not need to be known at compile
> time).
>
>   Heiko

Do you want to have real data or reports (as a simple String) for your
JON? I assume real data, as you can place rules etc in JON to react.

In that case, will you create a kind of stub for every metric MBean we
provide or do we need a generic approach, where we define something like:
name: response time
data type: long

A generic approach (as always) requires a larger effort.

Could you provide some use cases, what you want to pull, regularly or
once, raw data (response time) or 'manufactured' data (e.g. average
response time).

Best Regards

Sebastian