[seam-dev] Dependency nightmares

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 11:47:58 EDT 2008

[added seam-dev list to reply]

Seam goes out of its way (and when I say Seam, I mean those that
design it, you know their names) to ensure that unnecessary JAR files
are not required.  For an example of a minimal set, check out the
tomcat jpa example.

ejb-api.jar // definitely not required until you happen to be using
one of the EJB annotations

persistence-api.jar // It's pretty well accepted at this point that
even if you are using native Hibernate, this is a desirable API to
have (feel free to question me here)

hibernate-validator + hibernate.jar // I will agree that right now it
is a bit odd to require hibernate.jar just to use Hibernate Validator.
Unfortunately, Hibernate Validator uses a few core imports from
Hibernate. Once Bean Validation is out the door, you will be able to
use its validators which will be agnostic of Hibernate. It seems like
this is your main bone (i.e. compliant).

As for seam-gen being a library glutten, that's an area we hope to
make advances in the near future. I encourage you to use the Maven 2
POMs if you would like to get a more lean set.

I do applaud you challenging us to always keep the required library
count down. This is a topic I have pushed for myself over the years.