[seam-dev] Updates to Seam release process to allow for translation work

Pete Muir pmuir at bleepbleep.org.uk
Thu Mar 27 06:59:33 EDT 2008

On 27 Mar 2008, at 10:50, Jay Balunas wrote:
> We followed a similar process at my last company.  We found that
> freezing anything right before a release was not practical.

Yup, I think you are right. Especially for patch releases as we do
most of the work in the run up to release.

> We would release the product with included English docs.  Where it
> differs from your plan is that we did not do a follow up release -
> unless needed for critical bugs.  The docs team worked off the
> tagged rev so that they were always translating the same version as
> the release.

So, did the translated docs get committed into an RCS at all? This is
what Shane and I were struggling with - the tag needs to reflect what
was released, so you need somewhere to place the translation. We want
to avoid putting in a branch for each release.

> The dev branch was never actually frozen.  When the docs were
> finished we posted the translated documentation on our website.  In
> the original release we had links and information discussing the
> translated docs and where they could be found.

This is other option. It has the downsides that you never get a zip
with the translated docs so some won't realise they exist and the
above RCS problem. On the upside it is easier.

Another option we discussed would be get just the doc/ dir tagged
with with the translations post release (e.g.
JBoss_Seam_2_0_2_GA_TR1) and release a separate zip including
translated docs. This would reduce the QA/release load no end, solve
the RCS problem and possibly be good as it means those who just want
code don't get bloat from all sorts of extra docs. This could also be
good as it would allow the docs team to work mostly independently
after a release and provide translations as fast as they need (just
tag each rev TRx, upload to sf.net, update docs.jboss.org and update
seamframework.org).

WDYT?