[seam-dev] passing on feedback

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Wed May 7 03:21:56 EDT 2008

The awareness of Seam is very high from what I can tell being at J1.
In two Seam-related sessions 100% of people had heard of it, with
about 15% using it. However, there are two questions I keep getting
over and over...and oh, btw way, the people who answer the question
butcher the shit out of the response.

1. Is Seam WebBeans? Where does WebBeans fit into the picture? Am I
going to have to rewrite all my Seam applications?
2. What is Seam's stance on the next version of Java EE? Is Seam
committed to Java EE 6 or just saying the hell with it?

For the first question, I think we need an FAQ on swfk.org with a
short and concise standpoint just so that speakers can stop saying
stupid shit (and shit that is wrong). I put in a first draft, but it
might suck. Feel free to revise and make public:
http://seamframework.org/21343.lace

For the second question, I really feel that we should try to reduce
Seam's code base as Java EE improves (I'm not talking about our non
Java EE integrations here). That is a good thing. It means we
succeeded in "fixing" Java EE. Then we add the next generation
feature, rinse and repeat. There is great stuff coming in EJB 3.1 and
already I see areas where Seam can repeat its improvement over the
standard, such as with managed concurrency.

BTW, talked to the Cisco guys and it looks like we have a great case
study in the works. They worship Seam and about to go to production
with it. They just need to work through some conversation issues. The
target is Geronimo server (they said Pete and Gavin assisted them),
but that is missing from the docs. We need to put Jay in touch with
them to avoid duplicate work.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

http://www.mojavelinux.com
http://manning.com/dallen

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail
for a while. If you contact me, then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters. Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.