[seam-dev] Re: Seam Guice integration

Pawel Wrzeszcz pw209308 at students.mimuw.edu.pl
Thu May 22 13:44:53 EDT 2008

Hello Dan,

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given that we have Spring integration in the IoC module, it makes
> sense that we would have Guice in there as well. Paul, would you be
> interested in seeing the Guice module become part of the Seam project?
> Seam devs, would this be something we want to see in Seam? I think it
> should.

Sure. I'd be really happy if you guys decide to make my Guice
integration part of Seam.

I've developed it for the JBoss Labs project and the reason was fairly
simple. We used Guice to access some of our services and when we
started using Seam we wanted to reference them from it in a Guicy way
:)

I realize Spring or Guice integration might be especially useful for
those who, for some reason, want to use Seam only for the part of
their project (e.g. they deal with some legacy software).

> Granted, I know that there is the whole Web Beans coming down the
> pike, but given that this integration is already implemented, why not
> make it available in Seam 2.1?

Well, depends on you, actually. I work on JBoss Labs, but I'll
certainly find time to contribute to Seam.

The integration is ready. I spent my time testing it, but of course
there is nothing better than a community testing. It has been improved
lately, thanks to some feedback I got from a guy who asked about such
an integration exactly when I was finishing it.
http://www.seamframework.org/Community/SeamComponentOutOfBoxGuiceJobssMC
Also, I made the configuration nicer as well, using Seam namespaces.

Things that I should certainly do to make it prod ready include
writing tests and xml schema for autocompletion.

Cheers,
-Pawel