[seam-dev] lobbying for alternative JPA provider support in 2.0.2.SP1

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:37:01 EDT 2008

Seam devs,

I am bringing a topic that happened in a private e-mail between Jay
and I to the list.

The main issue that I really want to see included in 2.0.2.SP1 is this
fix for the PersistenceProvider (JBSEAM-3030). It bothers me that we
are blatantly not supporting other JPA providers, even though we all
know how important manual flushing is (trust that I find it the single
most lacking feature in JPA). This is not a regression, but it sure
feels like one.

The backstory is that if you have at least one component with a
persistence context (e.g. @In private EntityManager entityManager or
@PersistenceContext private EntityManager entityManager), then Seam
will attempt to put it into manual flush mode before rendering. When
that happens, you are using the generic JPA provider, an exception is
thrown, failing the rendering process. The only way around this issue
is to implement your own PersistenceProvider and override the
setManualFlushMode() to do nothing. My fix changes this exception to a
log warning message.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

http://www.mojavelinux.com
http://manning.com/dallen

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail
for a while. If you contact me, then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters. Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.