[seam-dev] heads up on a change to the context path of some examples

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 20:17:26 EST 2008

To help new developers find their way, I worked on making the context
path predictable for all example applications. A convention had
already been established, so it was just a matter of bringing all the
examples in line with it. Here's the convention.

If the example is being deployed as an EAR (typically to JBoss AS),
then the context path is seam-${example.folder.name}. So the dvdstore
example is accessed at the context path /seam-dvdstore.

If the example is being deployed as a WAR (typically to Tomcat w/
Embedded JBoss), the context path is
jboss-seam-${example.folder.name}.

The reason the WAR deployments are different is because the context
path is based on the name of the archive. It also makes the developer
aware of what type of deployment is being used (EAR or WAR). The
readme.txt in each example folder says whether it is an EAR or WAR
deployment.

I also updated the documentation.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.