[seam-dev] JNDI Lookups, and UserTransation lookup breakdown

Jay Balunas tech4j at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:50:38 EDT 2008

Just as a quick test - not my full work up ;-) I ran the dvdstore example
through some typical work flows to see where and what JNDI calls were made.

This was one user, running the unmodified dvdstore example.

I logged in performed several searches, and made a perchase then logged
out.  Logged in as manager and reviewed the order and changed the process
work flow.  Then logged out again.  This  might not be the exact steps, but
close.

These were the JNDI lookups:
971 ms - 2,249 inv. [NAME] java:comp/UserTransaction
69 ms - 6 inv. [NAME] jboss-seam-dvd/ShoppingCartBean/local
45 ms - 12 inv. [NAME] jboss-seam-dvd/FullTextSearchAction/local
5 ms - 1 inv. [NAME] jboss-seam-dvd/CheckoutAction/local
3 ms - 6 inv. [NAME] java:comp/env/security/securityMgr
2 ms - 17 inv. [NAME] java:/dvdEntityManagerFactory
1 ms - 28 inv. [NAME] jboss-seam-dvd/StoreManagerBean/local
0 ms - 7 inv. [NAME] jboss-seam-dvd/AuthenticatorAction/local
0 ms - 2 inv. [NAME] EJBContext
0 ms - 1 inv. [NAME] UserTransaction
0 ms - 1 inv. [NAME] env/com.jboss.dvd.seam.StoreManagerBean/em

The "UserTransaction" lookup clearly stands out as a the top offender.  With
multiple users hitting this I think the blocking threads would really pile
up.

I can run this type of basic test pretty quickly so I am going to do the
same on the seam-gen project that we use for release testing.  My hunch is
that the results will be similar.

-Jay

--
blog: http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Jay