[seam-dev] Re: Adding a security audit to the Seam QA (release) process

Anil Saldhana Anil.Saldhana at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 09:04:19 EDT 2008

Pete,
  thanks for the information.   I just returned from a software forum
conducted by the US Government. I got the feeling that there is some
element of internal push toward web 2.0 and open source software in the
government space. They are pretty strict on security practices etc and
they view open source software as a form of COTS that cannot be
trusted.  I am sure this extends to governments and financial
institutions around the world. :)

Security conscious customers want to see a proactive approach (secure
design practices etc) rather than a reactive approach (patch
management).  This can be a key differentiator for us.

We have to adopt a global security policy (vulnerability reporting,
handling and public notification).  I am sure Marc will have the lead
role in this.  The email alias (security at jboss.org) + online
vulnerability reporting contact form + 2-way feedback cycle/rapport with
the National Vulnerability Databases (Mitre for CVE and NIST for NVSD)
is all we need as a start IMO. :)

Irrespective of these processes, please continue with your aggressive
innovation. ;)

Cheers,
Anil