[seam-dev] Wicket integration work

Clint Popetz cpopetz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 15:13:51 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Clint,
> On 17 Oct 2008, at 19:59, Clint Popetz wrote:
>
>  Greetings,
>>
>> I've been working on wicket integration, and I have a number of things
>> done that I'd like to contirbute:
>>
>> * An ant task to instrument wicket components at build time
>> * Fixes to make it possible to hot-deploy wicket components that have been
>> instrumented by that task.
>>

> Yup, we should definitely support this :-)

Great!

> We don't currently have any ability to do anything other than
> per-application selection of components. Have that discussion here I think.

Ok, let me do some investigation on this first.

>  Also, with regard to the ant task, I don't know how you want that
>> packaged.  Is the plan to keep the just-in-time instrumentation of
>> WEB-INF/wicket (which isn't hot-deployment-compatible) as an option, with
>> build time instrumentation as the default (i.e. the default in seam-gen'd
>> build files?)
>>

> I don't see why we need to make either the default, both approaches can
> coexist I think. It sounds like you want to add Wicket support to seam-gen?

I haven't, and while it would be nice, it's not no my current todo list.  At
minimum, when support is added to get the seam-gen libraries copied over
correctly for a wicket seam-gen component, the instrumentation could be
added as well, and I can do that.

>  Or get rid of the just-in-time thing?  Currently I have
>> JavassistInstrumentor extending extending org.apache.tools.ant.Task, but I
>> have it in a separate project to build the task jar.  It also could remain
>> in jboss-seam.jar.
>>

> I think the ant task should go in it's own JAR.

Should it be its own pom, or just a jar ("jboss-seam-wicket-ant.jar") built
alongside jboss-seam-wicket.jar in the jarwicket target?  Also, the new jar
will need classes in the jboss-seam-wicket.jar; should they be copied into
the ant jar so that it stands alone, or just assume that
 jboss-seam-wicket.jar will live on the build path an have people add the
build path to the <taskdef/>'s path?

Thanks,
-Clint