[seam-dev] Switching to a requirement-orientated deployment system

Pete Muir pete.muir at jboss.org
Wed Oct 22 09:55:53 EDT 2008

I just committed some queued changes I had to switch us from a
resource orientated (inspect each scanned file/class; each file/class
gets passed to each deployer which can do what it wants with it) to
requirement orientated (expose requirements and the scanner hands a
list of matching files/classes to the deployer). This is good because
it allows us to delegate resource/class discovery to the container
(JBoss 5).

I've tested all the deployers I know about (including the wiki), and
the testsuite passes; however there may be bugs, please assign them to
me in JIRA if they come up.

So, this requires us to produce a stable SPI for exposing these
requirements; so far it's pretty simple, you can require files that
have a certain suffix (e.g. .jpdl.xml) or classes with any of the
specified annotations. If you need to further processing, you can call
the postProcess() hook to further trim down the list. If anyone would
like to add extra requirements, then we need to do that before
2.1.1.GA, so please raise issues in JIRA.

You can find all this in trunk, inside org.jboss.seam.deployment, some
of it javadoc'd ;-)

Ales, I added SeamResourceDiscovery for you to jboss-seam-int as an
example of how to get requirements from seam, and how to set back the
discovered classes/files.