[seam-dev] Suppressing parameter inclusion for s:link

Norman Richards orb at nostacktrace.com
Thu Oct 23 11:27:16 EDT 2008

On Oct 23, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Shane Bryzak wrote:

> A couple of our more vocal users have been pushing for JBSEAM-3609
> and JBSEAM-2310 to be fixed, and while the issue is legitimate Pete
> and I couldn't arrive at a definite conclusion as to how to
> correctly address it.  To summarise the problem, when a user has a
> page with a menu containing a lot of links (each using s:link), each
> of the page parameters defined in pages.xml for the views referenced
> in the links cause instantiation of whatever Seam component is
> configured in the parameter value. The main problem with this is the
> performance hit from having to create so many components just to
> render the links.
>
> We identified two possible solutions - either introduce an
> attributes in pages.xml which when set to true suppresses the
> parameter values from being rendered, or introduce an additional
> attribute in s:link and s:button which does a similar thing for that
> link only.  The advantage of controlling it in the view is that it
> offers more flexibility, being that you can choose when to include
> or exclude the parameter values.  However, the real question is
> which would be the more semantically correct place to control it.
> Does anyone have any opinion either way about this?

It should be in the view, on the link.   I can't see any way that
trying to put this in pages.xml makes sense.

Note that we already support this to some degree with <f:param
name="whatever" value="" />.  It's very tedious  to put this on every
link, especially when you have multiple page parameters, so having an
easier way to set this on each particular link would be great.