[seam-dev] Fwd: [seam-forums] Unprofessional forum management

Christian Bauer christian.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:51:55 EDT 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 18:22 , Gavin King wrote:

> Agreed, it seems like in this case the guy didn't mean to do
> anything "bad".

Folks, of course he was told to use a real name. He not only ignored
it but decided to set the name back to an acronym again. And his
thread was NOT "alive". And no, besides locking them out without a
message we currently don't have any other viable option in the
software. A user ban feature has not been necessary so far! The real
name notice actually works well 99% of the time - which shows that
most people appreciate the rules of a community they just joined.
Ignore the exceptions...

Also, he just posted the exact same content again and this time he
actually used his real name. So nothing lost, no problem.

If you want the "programm0r" forum posters we can remove the real name
policy completely. I have been really really surprised how well it
worked though and the Seam forum content is mostly good quality -
maybe because of that. It makes a difference if your future employers
can Google your incompetence level ;)

We are evaluating a move to the upcoming new jboss.org forums, maybe
we then have more options such as in-community messages, banning, etc.