[seam-dev] renaming source directories in a seam-gen project

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 04:55:47 EDT 2008

I would like to propose that we modify the name of the source
directories in a seam-gen project so they better reflect how they are
built rather than what classes they might contain. The current paths
are:

src/action
src/model

The src/action directory works as the hot deployable classpath when
running in development mode. In production mode, they both get dumped
into the same classpath. Here is the renaming I am proposing:

src/action -> src/hot
src/model -> src/main (or src/static)

I am *not* looking for a major change here. This is just a small task
that I feel would just cause less confusion. For instance, I often
recommend to clients to move classes that have "solidified" out of the
hot deployment directory so that they are not constantly reloaded
(hence wasting build time). But currently it feels unnatural to put an
action component under src/model.

I would like to know if these names are okay and if, perhaps, you have
a better choice for "src/main". I really don't expect objections to
"src/hot", but you have a chance to speak up.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.