[seam-dev] java.lang.IllegalStateException: No phase id bound to current thread (make sure you do not have two SeamPhaseListener instances installed))

Snjezana Peco snjezana.peco at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 17:37:06 EDT 2009

I have tested a Seam project using the following:

JBoss Seam 2.0.2.SP1 and 2.1.1.GA
JBoss AS 4.2.2.GA,4.2.3.GA, EAP 4.3.0.GA_CP03 and 5.0.1.GA

When adding jboss-seam.jar to WEB-INF/lib, the application doesn't work
with Seam 2.0/2.1 on AS 4.2.3/5.0.1/4.3.0.GA_CP03.
Seam doesn't set namespaces correctly (it doesn't set the
org.jboss.seam.framework, org.jboss.seam.security and
org.jboss.seam.transaction package, for instance)
and returns the following warning message:
"No phase id bound to current thread (make sure you do not have two
SeamPhaseListener instances installed)"

If jboss-seam.jar isn't in WEB-INF/lib, everything works correctly.

When using JBoss 4.2.2.GA, Seam works correctly even if jboss-seam.jar
is in WEB-INF/lib
Some changes in the JBoss AS classloader, somewhere between JBoss AS
4.2.2 and JBoss AS 4.2.3, cause this issue. The issue isn't related to
JBoss Tools.

A workaround is removing jboss-seam.jar from WEB-INF/lib

Snjeza