[seam-dev] laying the tracks for Seam 3

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:05:43 EDT 2009

I'd like to start a new thread to discuss the Seam 3 foundation (since this
is no longer about the Seam 2.1 branch).

So far, we have four main SVN divisions:

examples
modules
docs
sandbox

I raised the question whether we should divide up modules into official,
sandbox, and thirdparty. Shane said that likely we don't need that
fine-grained of a division. However, I'm still concerned that sandbox is too
vague (the name reminds me of Tomahawk sandbox which is just a mess, IMO).
Plus, examples might need a sandbox. So perhaps we can have

modules
modules-sandbox
examples
examples-sandbox

Moving on, we are going to use a Maven structure for everything and which
closely resembles Web Beans. In fact, they should remain very close in
appearance for consistency.

Here's the inheritance for each Seam module:

webbeans/version-matrix (Pete, is this right?)
modules/version-matrix
modules/parent
modules/%modulename%

That would simply be expressed as:

   <parent>
      <artifactId>seam-parent</artifactId>
      <groupId>org.jboss.seam</groupId>
      <version>3.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
   </parent>

   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
   <groupId>org.jboss.seam</groupId>
   <artifactId>seam-%modulename%</artifactId>
   <packaging>jar</packaging>
   <version>3.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
   <name>Seam %modulename%</name>

Of course, a module could be a parent to other modules, such as document
perhaps.

Examples have a different inheritance hierarchy

webbeans/version-matrix (correct?)
modules/version-matrix
examples/parent
examples/%examplename%

The first example (booking) will be using JSF 2.0. I'm going to express this
as a dependency per example right now because I'm thinking we still want
Seam 3 to work with JSF 1.2 (or should we?). I'll also assume that the app
server has JSF 2.0. We might want a build somewhere that can install JSF 2
into JBoss AS just like Web Beans has. Of course, we are waiting on a
deployer from my understanding.

I'll also use the Web Beans logging extension in the examples. I'll
coordinate closely with Shane to get the Seam security module running in the
booking. Shane, feel free to make changes/additions in booking. I'll keep
SVN up to date.

Discussing modules, we definitely need a few more than are currently listed.
Here are several I think we need:

faces (which would have page actions, faces messages, and perhaps engulf the
current ui too)
pageflow (I think this should not be considered an extension of bpm anymore
since it is really standalone)

That's all I've got at the moment. Feel free to correct me anywhere. These
are brainstorms.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.