[seam-dev] jsf in seam 3

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:05:18 EDT 2009

Working on the booking example has allowed me to gain a perspective about
what services we need right away out of the faces (jsf) module. Perhaps it
can be removed once the next rev of the EL is ready, but for now we need
JBoss EL to get parametrized EL expressions. That means providing a custom
JSF Application factory.

Fortunately, overriding the default Application impl got way simpler in JSF
2.0 since the spec now provides a base implementation class that you can
override a single method at a time. We can eliminate these overrides as they
come available in the platform. But for now we need it.

...that brings me to my next very important point. I think we need to be
developing against the JSF trunk. The last release, PR2, does not have any
of the features that we recently contributed, making development against PR2
almost pointless. I would like to compile a JSF release, call it 2.0.0-PR2_1
(or suggest another version number), deploy it to the JBoss repository, and
Seam can depend on that for now. If there are no objections, I will do that
today.

Going back to the faces module, instead of continuing with the
org.jboss.seam.jsf and org.jboss.seam.faces package split in Seam 3, I think
we should put all the faces classes under org.jboss.seam.faces and use
appropriate sub-package names. So in this case, I propose
org.jboss.seam.faces.application.SeamApplicationFactory and
org.jboss.seam.faces.application.SeamApplication for overriding the default
Application impl. We will also need the org.jboss.seam.el package (perhaps
module).

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.