[seam-dev] the parody of mocks in JSF

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 10:22:50 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Jay Balunas <tech4j at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may also want to check out
> http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/TestDrivenJSFDevelopment
>
> Alex Smirnov has been working on this to help with RF 4.0 development.
> Perhaps we can collaborate.

Awesome. So I'm not alone in my thinking that we need a solution.

Another initiative that is just getting started is faces-tester by Jason
Lee. http://kenai.com/projects/facestester

I see two requirements. One is that you are interacting with the JSF API to
validate your framework or business code. For instance, I have tests in Seam
3 right now that validate that the EL resolver is working correctly, ones
that validate that FacesMessage objects are created and registered and ones
that test that a component can be found by id in a programmatically created
tree.

Then there is the view and UI component stuff (but not functional testing
like Selenium or JSFUnit). That is where faces-tester and/or jsf-test are
needed. They reach into the JSF view layer and begin executing the component
renderers.

We absolutely need both. And it's time to get serious and have a definitive
library rather than just spinning off a homegrown mock everytime we need to
write a test. I'm going to be looking into both of these projects as I add
tests to Seam 3.

-Dan