[seam-dev] Need advice on what and how to commit new build stuff for the booking sample app on WebSphere v7

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 08:54:37 EDT 2009

>     Again - I need to play more with this, but a few months ago it was
>     still a problem (i.e. the IDE just become a fancy notepad :)
>

> I get that Maven is putting the resolved file in the build directory.
> What I don't understand--and please bear with my naivety about Eclipse
> plugin development--is why we can't offer some sort of "smart" editor
> that is aware of the properties defined in the pom.xml file and can
> resolve them when it needs a value (such as the JTA data source name).
That is what I would like to do where we can - but will only work for
our editors and projects. We don't control all of the IDE - sorry ;)
Anyway, the editor is just *one* part of this - then there is the whole
set of framework specific models in place, i.e. JSF and JPA provided by
WTP has their own little model which
expects things to be in a specific place and is not in any way
extendable in this area (afaik).

btw. jta datasource name is an example of something we don't really need
to resolve since it only exists at runtime....
what we want to control is that when you want to do Hibernate queries
from the IDE you use a persistence.xml that is configured to run in J2SE;
but when deploying it should use the datasource name one - and this is
not controllable with a mere property replacement because of how
persistence.xml's are structured.

> This would be precisely like Eclipse properties. Clearly Eclipse is
> able to offer paths that "extend" properties, so why can't the files
> which Maven marks as "filterable" work in the same way?
What do you mean by Eclipse properties ? you mean eclipse variables
which are used a few places in eclipse ui ?

/max