[seam-dev] [weld-dev] Weld functional tests

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 07:22:46 EST 2009

Hi Karel,

I like the plan in general :-)

On 8 Dec 2009, at 16:55, Karel Piwko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> there is QA proposal of integrating functional tests into Maven
> lifecycle for building weld/seam-examples:
>
> 1/ Add an profile "ftest" into pom.xml of weld-examples-parent.
>   This profile contains all the necessary build executions
>   (starting container/deploying/running Selenium/
>    collecting results/undeploying/stopping container),
>   so this can be shared by examples.

Ok, sounds good.

> 2/ In a example, add the same "ftest" profile with dependency on
>   ftest-example artifact. This dependency is interval based,

What does this mean?

> so
>   there is no need to release the example when its ftest changes.
>   Then add the testsuite for container into src/test/ directory of
>   example.

Sounds good.

> 3/ Running maven with ftest profile will execute functional tests during
>   integration-test phase

Ok.

> So, all ftests are maven artifacts, downloaded from repository when
> needed, normal build is untouched. We implemented this proposal for
> Weld jsf/numberguess example and things are working fine.
>
> There are currently two problems :
> a/ Although weld-examples-parent contains ftest profile, this cannot be
>   used to recursively test all modules, because there is no way how
>   selectively activate this profile only for modules where this
>   is applicable (will be working in Maven 3). This shouldn't be the
>   problem, because in the end examples will be mainly parts of
>   weld|seam-modules, so this couldn't be used as well.

Ondrej explained that the issue here is that you are getting the plugin config activated in children with no tests. Have you tried putting the config in <pluginManagement> and only activating the plugin in the relevant children?

> b/ User is required to pass reference to ftest.properties file with
>   -Dftest.properties, but this file is not a part of example
>   distribution. We can add this file or its skeleton to each example,
>   but it doesn't seem right.

What does this file do?