[seam-dev] Seam 3 development

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:13:25 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Piotr Steininger <
piotr.steininger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seam Team,
>
> My name is Piotr (Peter) Steininger and I am a former Amentra/RedHat
> consultant living in the Washington, DC area. I've worked on a number of
> consulting projects using Seam 2 as a solutions architect and a tech/dev
> lead. I learned to love a lot of Seam's features (and got to know a lot of
> it inside and out), and got to experience many challenges of using Seam in
> (both technical and political). Since the experience I gained has been
> paying my bills for a while, I feel that this is the time to pay back, and
> invest my time and skills into Seam and Weld, which I am very excited about
> and want to promote for future projects.

Awesome!

> So I'd like to contribute to Seam 3 code in some way, to accelerate the
> time line. I would also love to help build some solid examples (beyond
> booking, number guess, etc - something with hands and legs - I have a few
> ideas, which I'll be putting down on paper pretty soon).

Sounds like exactly what we need ;)

> I checked out the sources for modules one by one, but I can't seem to build
> some of them (ie. seam-bpm). Maven complains that it can't find
> seam-parent:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. I found a trace of it on
> repository.sonatype.org (
> http://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/org/jboss/seam/seam-parent/3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/),
> but no pom, just metadata.
>
> How can I get around it?
>
> I have to admit I am totally new to the process of contributing to
> open-source since I've been on consulting gigs pretty much behind closed
> doors, so I am not sure where to start. I tried to find some more detailed
> developer docs, but I probably did not dig deep enough.
>
> I appreciate in advance any advice and direction.

We are just getting Seam 3 off the ground, as you can tell. Some of it is
not flying yet. The best thing to do is hop on the #seam-dev IRC channel
since the best documentation is real-time help.

We love your enthusiasm and request your patience since you are going to be
part of the lift off process ;)

Registered Linux User #231597