[seam-dev] Re: Form, Input Elements and SeamText

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:33:20 EST 2009

I'm digging up an old thread here...

Would it be possible for the tinyMCE component to output a more standard
wiki syntax as well, such as textile (http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/)?
As complete as it may be, the Seam formatted text is yet another wiki syntax
and the world has so many already. For people using Seam in an existing
system/environment, it may be necessary to adapt. We can't support every
syntax, but we can pick the most prevalent.

Also, when I imagine how this component would work, I figured that all the
conversation is handled by the JSF life cycle.

When the editor is loaded wiki text is converted to html and displayed in
the TinyMCE editor
When the form is saved, the html is converted to wiki text and copied back
to the model

You do stand to lose some control with this approach if the wiki syntax has
special hooks. But then again, if someone wants that contorl, I suppose they
can just edit the wiki text directly.

-Dan

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Jay Balunas <tech4j at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> They are developing a richfaces component that implements tinyMCE (
> http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/) as a JSF component.
>
> The goal is that it also supports seam text conversion on the server side
> (afaict) which is why they are bringing up questions on proper conversion.
>
> Two places where I have run into the issue below is when creating an
> outline/draft document that I am not ready to post, but want to save, the
> other is when I have a section that I do not need introduction text for and
> would instead like to begin the first sub-section immediately.
>
> +header 1
> ++header 2
>
> Is this a change to seam text grammar that would be acceptable?
>
> -Jay
>

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Christian Bauer <cbauer at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 03, 2008, at 14:33 , Ilya Shaikovsky wrote:
>>
>>  html allows us to use next code
>>>
>>> <h1>header 1<h1>
>>> <h2>header 2<h2>
>>>
>>> but next code
>>>
>>> +header 1
>>> ++header 2
>>>

>> It wasn't done on purpose but I'm quite happy with requiring text between
>> headlines. That's how real texts are written, it's good style.
>>
>>  How about your opinion on this?
>>>

>> I have no idea what you guys are doing but if you want to submit
>> reasonable changes to the seam-text.grammar, go

> blog: http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Jay

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.