[seam-dev] jsf in seam 3

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Tue May 5 12:47:46 EDT 2009

Hi Clint,

I definitely think this is an objective for Seam 3 - it sounds like
you and Dan have some ideas about how to make this happen with the Web
Beans core. I would suggest reworking your patch for trunk so we get
it committed asap, with some tests.

Ping me if you want to discuss ideas...

Pete

On 5 May 2009, at 12:59, Clint Popetz wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Apr 2009, at 07:10, Dan Allen wrote:
>>> Instead of thinking of replacing the class 1-for-1, think if
>>> perhaps there
>>> is base functionality that would be relevant for any environment and
>>> specific functionality for a framework like JSF. Then, you can
>>> create a
>>> generic class and then specialize it using a deployment type and
>>> @Specializes. Two examples of this so far are
>>> StatusMessages/FacesStatusMessages and Expressions/
>>> FacesExpressions. I
>>> believe that Selector is another candidate for this. There is
>>> nothing
>>> specific to JSF about a selector, but it just happens to be in the
>>> JSF
>>> package in Seam 2.1.
>
> I'm glad to see that this type of consideration is being given to
> making Seam3 independent of view layer choice.  However, I want to
> point out that using a deployment type and @Specializes would seem to
> place us in the same situation as Seam 2.x with respect to the view
> layers co-existing in the same deployment, which
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBSEAM-3645 was meant to address.
>
> In other words, I'd rather that the choice of the StatusMessages bean
> that will be activated isn't based on deployment type, but rather is
> chosen at runtime based on the type of request, using the pattern in
> the patch for the above jira issue.  Deployment types would of course
> still be used to choose which implementations of things like
> StatusMessages are available.
>
> I'd be willing to do the work to make that happen, if it can be
> coordinated in such a way that I'm not getting in your way.
>
> -Clint

Pete Muir
http://www.seamframework.org
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Pete