[seam-dev] where is jboss el?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:42:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 18 May 2009, at 19:16, Dan Allen wrote:
>
>  On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 May 2009, at 23:15, Dan Allen wrote:
>>
>> As we organize Seam 3 and the examples, I find myself asking two
>> questions:
>>
>> - Where is JBoss EL hosted and why is it not listed as a project at
>> jboss.org?
>>
>> It's never been made a top level project.
>>
>> I'm suggesting maybe it should.
>>

> Are you volunteering to be the maintainer, as we do need one...
>
> An alternative we discussed at some point is to migrate to MVEL which is
> supposed to be gaining a Unified EL compatibility mode.

Here's what I suggest. Let's make the call as we mature the seam-el module
in Seam 3 a bit more...see where it goes and see what the community feedback
is. So far, I see this as a cornerstone module for two reasons:

a) working with the EL API is still a pain (and seam-el eases a lot of that
pain)
b) we need a more powerful EL than what the standards body is willing to
allow

A powerful EL makes it so much simpler to develop an application because you
don't have to jump through hoops to get at data, especially against built-in
components. For instance, JBoss EL supports static methods, and I would like
to see it be able to reference enum constants directly.

Let's keep the option on the table and I'll maintain it if it continues to
have the influence that I perceive it does.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.