[seam-dev] build before restore

Ian Michell ianmichell at gmail.com
Sat May 30 05:08:06 EDT 2009

On 30 May 2009, at 06:46, Dan Allen wrote:

> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Ian Michell <ianmichell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Yeah, I guess I will have to write a work around for now, as a
> redirect with a message doesn't work either (although the pages.xml
> schema says it does), so once you log out and try to do a form post,
> seam throws the view state exception, however if you logout and then
> do a redirect it works fine, apart from the fact that I lose the
> message I pass on successful logout -- Almost as frustrating as seam
> mail!
>
> So are you saying you are having a problem with the Seam feature
> when using the regular approach or just when using the build-before-
> restore. The problem with build-before-restore is that it is just
> broken in Facelets. I wish I remembered the exact details, but I can
> say that it needed to be reworked quite a lot before it became the
> standard approach in JSF 2.0.

> http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan
>
> NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
> basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
> from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than
> a week,
> it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
> caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a
> message if
> you feel that it did not reach my attention.

I had managed to get it working by doing: s:link view="/login.xhtml"
action="#{identity.logout}" value="Logout" />, basically that logs you
out and displays the logout message that our front end guy wants,
however until I had put BUILD_BEFORE_RESTORE in place, it kept giving
view state exceptions when I tried to log back in.

BUILD_BEFORE_RESTORE does something very funny, in that I found it
broke quite a lot, like you I can't remember the details as I did
quite a bit of digging into it, to see if I could create a work around.

I guess I will have to create a workaround for the messaging bit, so
when one logs out, one is redirected to the login page and an action
is run to display the appropriate message (because of the funny way we
display messages, due to how our front end guy wants it done, I wrote
a JSF tag that displays either INFO, WARNING, ERROR + FATAL (error and
fatal together), so we can override messages easily enough).

As for JSF 2.0, I'm very keen to have a play, I have done my best to
take us away from Spring to Seam by porting all our DAO's and services
to EJB, then starting this new project from scratch with Seam (our old
buyer portal is still in spring and our new procurement tool is being
built with seam). It's not been without it's pain points, for one I
would love to see better integration with netbeans as eclipse sucks
with maven (and I'm not it's biggest fan) and the other is taking
spring developers and trying to get them used to the idea of seam has
been a very interesting experience for me as a manager, but a good
choice nonetheless.

I'm hoping the transition to Seam 3.0 and JSF 2.0 will be as painless
as possible, which is another reason I'm trying to get involved in the
dev list, as it seems it's the best place for information on it and
over time I want to see how I can contribute to it.