[seam-dev] Pages.xml and extensibility

Stuart Douglas stuart at baileyroberts.com.au
Thu Nov 26 03:53:08 EST 2009

When pages.xml gets moved to seam 3 would it be possible to allow it to be extended using xml namespaces, and provide some kind of API for allowing extensions access to this information?

I can think of a few different uses, from custom security implementations, to storing general page metadata. I also think that this would allow from configuration of beans on a per page basis, e.g:

<pages>

  <page view-id="/*" >
    <xns:beans>
       <myapp:Foo>
            <!-- foo's config -->
       </myapp:Foo>
    </xns:beans>
  </page>

  <page view-id="/admin/" >
    <xns:beans>
       <myapp:AdminFoo>
            <!-- admin foo's config -->
       </myapp:AdminFoo>
    </xns:beans>
  </page>

</pages>

I have a pretty good idea how to implement this, i would add a custom qualifier to each bean and then generate a producer method that picks the correct one. Does this sound like a good idea?

Stuart