[seam-dev] Extending weld-extensions generic beans

Stuart Douglas stuart at baileyroberts.com.au
Mon Apr 12 19:47:50 EDT 2010

So this is going to be much harder to implement than I thought. Because I want to look at the types that come through ProcessAnnotatedType I need to install the generic beans using AfterBeanDiscovery.addBean. This is much harder to use for this purpose than BeforeBeanDiscovery.addAnnotatedType, and no matter what I do there will be subtle and not so subtle differences between these beans and 'native' weld bean (e.g. interceptors and decorators won't work).

Ideally it would also be possible to do AfterBeanDiscovery.addAnnotatedType, however for the moment the only real solution that I can see is to put this functionality in the XML module, and require the extension developer to explicitly declare their generic beans in XML. This way all the information is available in BeforeBeanDiscovery, and I can add the generic beans using addAnnotatedType.

I think the syntax would be something like this:

<genericBean class="org.jboss.seam.DroolsConfiguration">
   <d:KnowledgeBaseProducer/>
   <d:KnowledgeSessionProducer/>
</genericBean>

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

Stuart