[seam-dev] Please read & review: "Test your module"

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:08:52 EDT 2010

Good job. This is an excellent step forward.

I made a few copy edits. I also added a little bit more detail around the
recommendation to use JUnit. We've traditionally used TestNG for Seam, but
because the IDE support for TestNG is so flaky in Eclipse and JUnit
integrates much cleaner with Arquilian, I'm in support of the change. We
need some fixes to JUnit, like categories, but the Arquillian team can
pursue those. Please let them know your needs! [1] Speaking of needs, please
add a recommendation to use the Arquillian discussion forums when you need
guidance with Arquillian.

There is one gap in the article at this point. Right now it assumes the use
of the weld-embedded container. That will work for basic managed bean tests,
but it's not going to work for integration tests that require container
services such as JMS and JPA. It also won't be sufficient when we need to
test the real JSF life cycle. Therefore, I recommend adding a section about
using real containers. For instance, JMS module needs this right out of the
gate.

-Dan

[1] http://community.jboss.org/en/arquillian

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Lincoln Baxter, III <
lincolnbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://seamframework.org/Seam3/ModuleHandbook
> http://seamframework.org/Seam3/ModuleTesting
>
> This includes a few guidelines, plus step-by-step instructions for getting
> started writing JUnit and Arquillian tests. Please review and add/comment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Lincoln Baxter, III
> http://ocpsoft.com