[seam-dev] Configuring of JMS Forwarding

Jordan Ganoff jganoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:36:10 EDT 2010

All,

I'd like some feedback on the following.  I brought up an idea for defining
configuration for the forwarding of events over JMS in our weekly meeting on
(4/29/2010).  The basic idea is that users should be able to easily
configure which events get forwarded to which destinations.  A user should
be able to define a mapping of event types to destinations in a bean (and
then optionally in xml using seam-xml).  This might look like:

class JmsForwardingObserver implements ObserverMethod
{
   JmsForwardingConfiguration config;
}

class JmsForwardingConfiguration
{
   // Destinations to forward to
   Set<? extends Destination> getDestinations();
   // Event types to observer and forward
   Set<? extends Event<?>> getEventTypes();
}

By default, we would create an instance of JmsForwardingObserver for every
registered JmsForwardingConfiguration.  The user could also register their
own JmsForwardingObservers to handle special forwarding requirements.  And
this could all be done with seam-xml-bean-config if the user chooses.

Is there a preferred way to allow users to configure aspects of a module
yet?

In the meeting I mentioned an annotation-based configuration but on second
thought I'm not sure how that would work to define sets of destinations or
events cleanly.

WDYT?

--
Jordan Ganoff