[seam-dev] Seam 3 special classloader for incremental deployment and JRebel 3: plans?

Arbi Sookazian asookazian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:38:02 EST 2010

I have (finally) made some progress in hot reloading EJB 3.0 components
(local interface and impl class) in initial testing using the latest build
of JRebel with JBoss 4.2.3.GA and Seam 2.2.0.GA:

JRebel 3.0-M2-SNAPSHOT (201002121625)

supporting thread:
http://seamframework.org/Community/UsingJRebel3WithJSF2Weld10EJB30

*What is the plan for incremental deployment (and specifically EJB 3.x
components) in Seam 3?  And perhaps this question also applies to Weld
container b/c it is going to be the container for Seam 3.*

When I ran my test, I ran it with the following default config in the
booking app's component.xml:

<core:init jndi-pattern="@jndiPattern@" debug="true"
distributable="@distributable@"/>

My intention was to set debug="false" but I forgot to do that.  I'm not sure
exactly what happens when you have the Seam special classloader activated as
well as JRebel for the EJB JAR via rebel.xml.  Not sure which takes
precedence, etc. but it works anyways.

I'm thinking the best scenario for fastest dev/build/test cycles is to use
an exploded EAR/WAR and copy facelet (.xhtml) changes (or .css, .js, .html,
etc)  to the exploded directory on JBoss and use JRebel for .class file
changes.

Does anybody see any downsides/problems with this strategy for achieving
maximum incremental deployment for all possible files in a Seam app?

What about the pages.xml file incremental deployment if you set
debug="false" in <core:init/>?

I'm trying to understand if using debug="true" will have negative affects
with JRebel 3?