[seam-dev] Seam JIRA for Seam 3

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 07:16:28 EST 2010

I've had some questions on IRC, with my proposals inline:

Q: How are we going to do do release versioning? Will all modules in a seam release have the same version number?

No, modules will be free to have different versions. We need to discuss the version number scheme too. I suggest that the main Seam releases are simply version 3.x.0 (no micro-version-number, unless we need a bug fix release). Modules should follow the standard scheme of incrementing the minor number if they had significant featuers/break APIs, and otherwise change the micro-version-number. The major version number shouldn't change.

Q: Will it be "simultaneous release" once a year like eclipse does?

No, firstly a simultaneous release implies that each module does it's major feature updates at the same time, I don't see we need to stick to that. Instead we will bundle a set of compatible modules. Secondly, we aim to release more than once a year :-)

Q : How will this work with Maven? Won't it be annoying for developers to have to explicitly specify which module to depend on (and update this every time a Seam bundle comes out)?

We'll provide a so called "stack POM" [1], which users can import into their project. They then just bump the Seam version number:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.jboss.seam</groupId>
    <artifactId>seam-bom</artifactId>
    <version>3.0.2.CR1</version>