[seam-dev] Seam patches and SVN logistics

Arbi Sookazian asookazian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:58:45 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

Isn't it cleaner/safer to create a new branch for each JIRA issue and then
re-integrate with trunk when that fix/enhancement is complete and tested
rather than having all the devs work directly off of trunk?  I know there
are more merges involved but this way if a JIRA is postponed or canceled
it's easier to manage/isolate b/c it has its own trunk for that JIRA issue.

Also, if somebody checks in a change set for a JIRA issue and breaks the
build, the Hudson build will also break if it builds off trunk.  And the
other problem is that if another dev wants to 'svn co' from trunk, it's
immediately a broken build.  Then you have to coordinate with the developer
who checked in the files that broke the build, etc.

So as a matter of svn best practices, I'm wondering if it's best to create
branches for each JIRA issue (esp. if they're more complicated enhancements,
for example, that involve modifying/refactoring a lot of files and/or adding
a lot of new files) or having all devs work right off the trunk?  And maybe
the answer depends on if it's a minor release (e.g. Seam 2.2) or patch fix
release (e.g. Seam 2.2.1) or a large feature release like Seam 3.0....

Perhaps there is a svn URL for each Seam 3.0 module?  Is that the strategy
to keep it fairly isolated?