[seam-dev] Seam patches and SVN logistics

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:44:16 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Arbi Sookazian <asookazian at gmail.com>wrote:

> In this specific case (Seam 3.0), there is no current production support so
> for now it seems like it may be ok to work directly from svn trunk (minus
> the broken build problem when bugs are committed).  However, I have been
> involved in private JIRAs via the Redhat/JBoss CSP in the past (with SLAs of
> course) and that means the core devs will need access to a clean, working
> trunk for prod maintenance, bug fixes, etc.  So I'd imagine in the future
> there will be a trunk and another future project branch at minimum.  It must
> have been like this in the past?

We are pretty far off from that right now. But naturally, we I'd imagine
we'll have branches of minor versions of each module (e.g., remoting-3_1_0).

> btw, from this link: http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/seam/modules/ I don't
> see a core module.  The Seam 2.2.x core will be heavily refactored (or
> completely re-written/replaced) by Weld 1.0.x I'd imagine.  But will it
> really be completely replaced?  I can't imagine so if Seam3 will be
> backwards compatible with Seam 2.x apps...  I'd like to try out Seam 3
> eventually with our non-trivial Seam/RF/JPA/JSF app here (which consists of
> two Maven projects and a couple of common/infrustructural projects that are
> shared b/n projects here).

There will be no core. Any bridge or emulation to Seam 2 will be in a module
called seam2-bridge (or some variation of that).

> I'm also wondering how backwards-compatible JSF 2 is.  I tried it briefly
> with my app and experienced some problems (possibly due to
> misconfiguration?) so reverted back to JSF 1.2 Mojarra for now.  It's tough
> to sell Java EE 6 at enterprise shops that tend to be conservative in terms
> of adopting technology (e.g. we like to stay 1 to 2 major revisions
> behind).  thx.

We'd be interested to hear about any backwards-compatible problems w/ JSF 2
so that we can specifically address them (in JSF 2 or in Seam).

As for Java EE 6 adoption, Seam has always been about looking forward. As
Seam 2 required Java EE 5, we are leaning heavily towards requiring Java EE
6 for Seam 3. There may be some hybrid stuff in there to ease migration, but
we are looking forward. It's part of what defines this project, IMO.

Registered Linux User #231597