[seam-dev] Seam patches and SVN logistics

Nikolay Elenkov nick at sarion.co.jp
Thu Mar 18 22:03:17 EDT 2010

On 2010/03/18 23:58, Arbi Sookazian wrote:

> So as a matter of svn best practices, I'm wondering if it's best to
> create branches for each JIRA issue (esp. if they're more complicated
> enhancements, for example, that involve modifying/refactoring a lot of
> files and/or adding a lot of new files) or having all devs work right
> off the trunk?  And maybe the answer depends on if it's a minor release
> (e.g. Seam 2.2) or patch fix release (e.g. Seam 2.2.1) or a large
> feature release like Seam 3.0....

Feature branching might seem like a good idea, but I don't think it is going
to work well with Subversion. Merging is not too easy in svn, so there will
be major trouble as the branches increase and people start (trying) to merge
more or less at the same time. For this to work, the whole thing will have to
be moved to a DVCS.