[seam-dev] Seam 3 space on JBoss Community

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 22 12:54:42 EDT 2010

I just want to point out that I am not happy with Hibernate.org.  However I
am not sure yet whether I am less happy with it now than I was with the old
site.  Gavin you are seriously the only person I have come across that
actually liked that old site.  The search sucked.  Admin sucked.  It was a
total pain to author content.  The security "model" was atrocious.  Contact
me off list if you need the rest of this list.

Was it great that we controlled it?  Well that's a two-sided question.  Of
course it was awesome that we got free reign over developing and designing
it.  But the downside is/was maintaining it both in terms of administering
the machine and keeping the site software patched etc.  Its this second
aspect where the old site was largely an epic fail.  Its the single reason
we continued to use completely outdated software that eventually led to the
security incidents that started all the outages with hibernate.org.  The php
wiki was absolute poopoo no matter what your rose-colored glasses want to
have you remember.

I am not going to speak about y'alls current site.  I was not involved in
it, nor do I ever go there.  So its not appropriate for me to speak about
it.

Someone pointed out some supposed issues with the new hibernate site.  Well
the quick links are working and have always been working afaik.  The tools
page is how max wanted it; all the "missing nav links" are actually part of
the page itself.  Yes there is not a good way to link back to the magnolia
pages from the sbs pages, because the jboss.org infrastructure does not
recgnize an association between the 2.

I personally welcome any *constructive* criticism of the hibernate.org
setup.  In fact we are discussing changes as I write this.