[seam-dev] Seam 3 space on JBoss Community

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Mar 23 14:31:30 EDT 2010

On 03/23/2010 12:23 PM, Gavin King wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Steve Ebersole<steve at hibernate.org>  wrote:
>>
>> I just want to point out that I am not happy with Hibernate.org.  However I
>> am not sure yet whether I am less happy with it now than I was with the old
>> site.  Gavin you are seriously the only person I have come across that
>> actually liked that old site.
>
> I liked the *look* and *organization* of the old site. I was not much
> of a fan of the software platform it ran on, which was the reason we
> created Seam Wiki - to fix the problems we had experienced on cowiki.
Again you are the only person I have ever heard say that they liked the
look of the old site.

The organization?  I assume you mean the hosting of it together as a
single wiki.  Like I said, I never liked the fact that project info and
community content were indistinguishable.

I agree though that I would prefer that we have a consistent LnF and
experience across the magnolia and SBS stuff

>> The search sucked.  Admin sucked.  It was a
>> total pain to author content.  The security "model" was atrocious.  Contact
>> me off list if you need the rest of this list.
>
> Well, I'm not at all convinced that these things are done much better
> on jboss.org. Seam Wiki, on the other hand, does them quite well. (Not
> perfect, but Good Enough.)
You say so.  Again, I have not looked nor used Seam so hard for me to say.

>> Was it great that we controlled it?  Well that's a two-sided question.  Of
>> course it was awesome that we got free reign over developing and designing
>> it.  But the downside is/was maintaining it both in terms of administering
>> the machine and keeping the site software patched etc.
>
> This is a political/organizational problem. i.e. it is an invented
> issue, not a Real issue.
I really have no idea what this means.  I assume you mean our employer
decision to limit the amount of software systems they want to support.
You can question that all you want but its the reality.  Which means
that if you want to run a site on seam wiki you will need to support it
yourself.  That's not imaginary.

Look none of this bears on seam's website nor where y'all decide to host
it.  Just pointing out that hibernate's situation was vastly different.
  And also pointing out that imo you tend to have agendas and only focus
on things which back up your perspective on that agenda.  Again, that's
my opinion and I am sure you have a different take on it.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org