[seam-dev] Let me know what you need for a first stab at the PDF/Mail port from Seam 2

Nikolay Elenkov nick at sarion.co.jp
Sun May 23 21:17:00 EDT 2010

On 2010/05/21 22:29, Tomaž Cerar wrote:

> I have done some extensive research of existing mail module code while
> tracking down JBSEAM-3555 and have found out that current approach to
> using JSF in seam mail error-prone J
>
> Currently seam just uses jsf that was initalized in web application and
> that is why there are some ugly hacks to make it work when you invoke
> seam mail from from non-web request (ejb,mdb,...)

I don't know how much better JSF2 is at this, but is it really a good idea to
use JSF for the mail module? Wouldn't it be better to use a real templating
engine (like Velocity) and not depend on JSF? Mail is asynchronous by nature and
people will be using it from Quartz/JMS/async methods. Plus it would be easier
to edit templates if they are not xhtml files, but simple text files. The usual
use case for mail templating is to provide files your users can edit if they
want to customize how email looks like. And you can't really expect them to
understand xhtml.