[seam-dev] Messages API in i18n

Ken Finnigan ken.finnigan at sorstech.com
Fri May 28 03:11:48 EDT 2010

Hi Lincoln,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your email!

I've taken a look at the Messages code you committed the other day and
I had a few questions about some areas that I didn't quite understand
in reading the code:

I noticed that Bundles contained @Named and was wondering what your
thoughts were about the bundles being directly EL accessible?
With BundleMessage I wasn't sure if it was purely the Builder pattern
that dictated that the BundleKey was set through a method call as
opposed to on the constructor or whether there was another reason?
What are the benefits to MessageFactory returning concrete
implementations as opposed to the MessageBuilder interface?
What are the benefits to Messages containing the same methods as
MessageFactory, without them saving the result in the Messages map?
Should Messages be @ConversationScoped to support parallel requests
from the UI?
If I've understood the code any message bundles that contain
properties need to be specified as strings in code.  Was there any
thought of using XML Config to read them in, as this was something Dan
and I had discussed in the past?
If I understood the usage scenarios correctly they would include:

Messages.add(MessageFactory.info(new BundleKey("bundle", "key"),
2).build());

OR

Messages.add(MessageFactory.info(new BundleKey("bundle", "key"), 2));

OR

Creating an instance of MessageImpl directly and set the values before
passing it to Messages.add();

Could just be me, but these seem quite wordy just to add a message to
the UI?

What I am planning is to prototype what I have been thinking of doing,
using what you've already done as inspiration.

What are your thoughts on other features that should be in an Alpha 1
of i18n?  I've got no problem with releasing Alpha 1 with the Messages
API you and Dan came up with to give me more time to think of possible
alternatives.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone