[seam-dev] Is this something worth looking at?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 18:05:06 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd like to know what actually changed.  We know things in seam-ui
> will not work and it looks like the seam debug page won't work either.
>  From my understanding that should be most of it.

Correct. Seam UI got bitten by the fact that Facelets got repackaged and, in
some cases, hidden. Theoretically you can include the Facelets 1.1.15 JAR
and set it as the view handler, but then you wouldn't really be using JSF 2
:)

>  I'm not sure what it would take to make the debug page work, but the
> things inside the UI package really wouldn't take that much time to
> fix.  I guess it depends on what the target environment is.  If it's a
> full blown JSF 2 component kit (ICEfaces 2.0, RichFaces 4, PrimeFaces
> 2.x, SmartFaces, etc) then you can use composite components and other
> JSF2 apis.  If the idea is to run with JSF 2 with the older Facelets
> there's some more work and testing that needs to be done.

The debug page would be a heck of a lot simpler to write in JSF 2 for
several reasons:

- more-fine grained lifecycle events
- composite components
- resource loading from a JAR file

Seam 2 could support both using the @Install(classDependencies) feature. It
will still take time to get it all converted over, and covering any corner
cases, but it's very doable.

Registered Linux User #231597