[seam-dev] Persistence Module Overview

Denis Forveille denis.forveille at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 08:48:03 EDT 2010

  Stuart,

I don't know if these issue is part of the "Persistence Module" or not, but what IMHO is important is that Seam 3 plays nicely with
the "User Transaction" (UT) and the JNDI space where the UT is looked up.

The JEE 5 specification defines usually when and where the JNDI namespace for UT is available or not. For example, there is no
guarantee to have access to a viable JNDI space and so to get a UT in session listeners or in "secondary" threads like the one
started by quartz for example.

In Seam 2 (but also in other frameworks that abstract those objects) there are lots of "workarounds" or "empty catch blocks" to
handle the situation. I have now in mind  the code  added (I commit some) to address the case of session listeners that tries to
perform a lookup for UT and play (ie commit/rollback) with it when a session closes. JEE 5 does not guarantee that such objects are
available in such contexts.

This has always been a problem with AS that (more) strictly enforce this, like WebSphere v6.x and WebSphere 7.

I know that JNDI specs changed in JEE6 (but not JTA) but I don't know if things changed regarding the availability of a JNDI name
space "everywhere" and also to have acces to a valid "UT" "everywhere", or at least in any place Seam will need it.

I don't know if there are "easy" solutions for this problem but at least this should be adress as nicely as possible, and I hope JEE
6 solved some of those problems.

When the persistence module and Seam 3 will be available in some "testable" state, I'll test them on WebSphere 8 (still in beta for
now).

Denis.