[seam-dev] Identifying which jars contains seam/cdi extensions and programmatic extensions ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Apr 7 08:48:47 EDT 2011

>>> I think it should

>>> I think this is simple. If it has beans.xml, as normal. If it doesn't look for Solder annotations and register those beans...
>>
>> that sounds like a plan.
>>
>> and just to be sure - you mean beans.xml as normal + scan solder annotations and if no beans.ml and just service declaration in manifest.mf only scan solder annotations ?
>
> Yes. For now just solder, but if any other such libs come up consider adding those?

Not unless there is a need.

> For JBoss stuff, it will be Solder though. This will mean that people have the option of using CDI annotations OR Solder annotations to define their beans, which I think should mean that 90% of extensions can be done declaratively if authors try hard (this is a good incentive to do just that). We will need to consider a design-beans.xml or something for the remaining beans I think - perhaps for now based on seam config?

That's what we discussed yes - but would be good to have some example definition of these we could use/explore.

> Anyway, that can't go in the spec until there is an xml dialect there...

yes - thus focusing on Solder annotations and eventually seamconfg xml support sounds like the best plan to me.

>> and this will also mean that if an archive actually contains "normal" CDI beans they would not be picked up. Correct?
>
> An archive without beans.xml?

yes, one that only has the manifest-mf service to say "enable Solder scanning"

>>> I think we need to revisit why the annotations aren't descriptive enough...
>>
>> Last time it was that the beans simply didn't have annotations or any metadata when registered programmatically.
>
> Right, as above, I hope Solder + CDI can cover 90% of cases...

Well, its the darnest 10% that is tricky....i.e. noticing that UserTransaction, PersistenceContext and any other new "thing" will have to be somehow registered as "available". If not, you get annoying warnings.

/max