[seam-dev] Seam Mail review

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Sun Aug 14 19:06:48 EDT 2011

Hi Cody,

I've just spent some time going over Seam Mail and preparing it for the
release, however I've discovered a number of items that I think still
need some work before it can go out:

1) Seam mail core - I think that the core module should be removed and
this should just become seam-mail-api, and (possibly, I'll get back to
this shortly) seam-mail (the implementation).  This would bring the
module into conformity with other modules that follow a similar
structure of one api, multiple implementations.

2) Evaluate whether the sub-module currently called
seam-module-core-impl is necessary.  It seems to me that this contains
classes that the user might use directly, in which case they should go
into the API module.  If they are classes that don't actually belong in
the API, then maybe a submodule called seam-mail-common might make more
sense if they are implementation classes common to both the Velocity and
Freemarker implementations.

3) The implementations need a minor restructure - the impl directory in
both the Freemarker and Velocity implementations is redundant, these
submodules can go directly in their respective sub-dirs.  Also, the
artifacts should be renamed to seam-mail-freemarker and seam-mail-velocity.

4) The seam-render sub-module.  What is this for exactly?  It only
contains one class, RenderTemplate - can this go into the impl or
seam-mail-common perhaps?

5) The distribution is broken.  Running mvn clean install -Drelease
produces a distribution archive that seems to be missing a whole bunch
of stuff, including the actual project artifacts.

If anyone is able to help Cody out with these items it would be greatly
appreciated, as I know he little spare time to spend on the mail module
at the moment.  Likewise, I have my hands tied up with the release right
now so if we're going to get the mail module into the 3.1.0.Beta1
release then we'll need a kind volunteer to help out with it.

Thanks,
Shane