[seam-dev] Glassfish 3.1 RESTful remote arquillian container

Jason Porter lightguard.jp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 03:25:54 EST 2011

While we've been trying to get the Solder on Glassfish problem figured
out we've run into a bit of a bottleneck: the glassfish arquillian
remote container.  Dan did a great job in getting the JSR 88
implementation up and running, but it has a few  key shortcomings
we've found while using it:

1) Deployment errors are not relayed back to Arquillian, we have no
idea what went wrong on a deployment without saving the war / ear and
manually deploying the archive
2) If a test fails every test after that runs extremely slow and
eventually becomes nigh unusable.

Because of these problems, ARQ-323 has been around for a little while
but hasn't been implemented.  I was able to create the container (it
could probably use a little improvement) using the REST administration
interface that Glassfish 3.1 provides to handle deployments.  This new
container should alleviate the above shortcomings of the current JSR
88 container and allow us to more quickly come to a solution for
Solder on Glassfish.  You can find the code at
https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian/pull/24 or at my fork at
https://github.com/LightGuard/arquillian under the arq-323 branch.

Many thanks to Aslak and company for providing a great testing tool,
sorely needed in Java EE, Dan Allen for the initial work with JSR 88
containers which I used heavily as a resource (and stole some code :),
and also Jason Lee at Oracle for the work done with the REST admin and
some great blogs at
http://blogs.steeplesoft.com/2010/08/glassfish-administration-the-rest-of-the-story/
and http://blogs.steeplesoft.com/2010/12/glassfish-administration-the-rest-of-the-story-part-ii-deploying-apps-using-scala/
which really helped in this area.