[seam-dev] Issue resolved with JBoss AS 7 CR1 and Seam Social

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 06:49:43 EDT 2011

On 5 Jul 2011, at 09:34, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 July 2011 01:18 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>> JSR-299 section 12.1
>>
>>> A directory in the JVM classpath is a bean archive if it has a
>>> file named beans.xml in the META-INF directory.
>>
>> And since WEB-INF/classes of a WAR is a JVM classpath directory...
> The CDI spec in that section also has:
>
> - The WEB-INF/classes directory of a war is a bean archive if there is a
> file named beans.xml in the WEB-INF directory of the war.
>
> So I'm not too sure if the spec meant to allow the beans.xml in 2 places
> (WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/classes/META-INF) within the .war. Infact,
> my understanding of "JVM classpath" is the classpath set via the
> -classpath argument to the java command. However, I'm not too sure what
> the CDI spec really intended it to be (maybe needs a clarification in
> 1.1?). If it really means that WEB-INF/classes/META-INF is valid for the
> beans.xml then we need to take that into account in AS7.

The spec intent is certainly as Jaikiran describes - you can infer this easily from the passage - if META-INF on JVM classpath meant any jar with a META-INF, the first bullet would be totally redundant. We can clarify this in 1.1 if people are confused by it, essentially by adding changing "JVM classpath" to "JVM classpath (when not in an EE server)" or something like that.