[seam-dev] Arquillian update

Jason Porter lightguard.jp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:43:54 EDT 2011

Adding the rest of the list as I think we're nearing the point we want some
more feedback.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:35, Ken Finnigan <ken at kenfinnigan.me> wrote:

> Nasty, read the irc log, not nice at all on AS7 part!
>
> At the moment I have a structure similar to persistence, but more following
> AS7. ie:
>
> \module_parent
>     \api
>     \impl
>     \testsuite
>         \api
>         \benchmark
>         \clustering
>         \internals
>         \smoke
>         \stress

I like the ideas, but I think the structure should be along the lines of the
containers (perhaps in addition to, if we're going to test things like
clustering and perf).

> Idea being that pure unit tests (ie. no container) remain within either
> api/impl modules, then any container testing falls within the testsuite
> somewhere.  Default test only runs api, internals and smoke, others are
> picked up by a profile.

Having the different containers be different test modules also gets us away
from having to rely on a profile (so you could run each set of tests in one
go instead of multiple invocations or lots of profiles).

> At present most of these folders are just ideas about the kinds of tests we
> could do (along the AS7 lines), but they seemed appropriate.  Existing i18n
> module tests are now in internals for testing the implementation.  I see
> smoke as being more comprehensive tests covering combined use of features in
> the module, and quite possibly integration with other modules too.

I do kind of like the idea of all the tests being inside the test suite, but
I'm also okay with basic unit tests living in api and impl. I think we
probably need to do some lifecycle tweaking and have those tests under the
testsuite run under the integration phase like Solder.

> Which container is run is then all down to profile.  Not sure whether to
> continue with embedded weld being the default container that is run when no
> profile is specified, or to force a profile to be specified for any
> container testing.
>
> Also had another thought today as to whether the poms for the test modules
> should define dependencies, or whether dependent libraries should be added
> directly to deployment artifact as library to prevent unintended libraries
> from appearing on test classpath.

If we go with test modules instead of profiles this becomes a non issue as
they'd just be test deps for the module.

Thoughts?