[seam-dev] Seam Startup Performance

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 19:45:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 19:27, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was just looking at the startup performance of the Seam 3 booking example
> on AS7, and I noticed that because the Seam 2 archives that it deploys are
> bean archives, it actually wastes quite a lot of time on startup registering
> Seam 3 classes as CDI beans that are never used.
>
> It occurred to me that we can get around this by using a beans.xml that
> includes welds <scan> extension in beans.xml to prevent uneeded beans being
> registered we could significantly improve the performance and memory usage
> of Seam 3 apps.

Now that the ridiculous visibility and extensions in non-bean archive
problems are resolved, I'm in favor of switching back to registering beans
manually rather than using beans.xml. That seems like a performance
enhancement that's portable, so that we don't suck if Weld isn't the
provider.

But I agree we should do one of the two options. We'll be moving tests
around in Seam to align the setup, so it seems like a good time to run tests
with the updated bean registration strategy.

Registered Linux User #231597

http://www.google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen#about