[seam-dev] Extended validation constraints

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Sun Jun 12 14:22:35 EDT 2011

Hi all,

nice to see some new constraints :-)
Some more thoughts inline

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:31:14 +0200, Gunnar Morling
<gunnar.morling at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm not totally sure what the right place for it would be, though. The
> constraints we have in HV so far are independent from any application
> layer. @WebSafe would be the first one specific to the web layer.

IMO this is validator is not really application layer dependent, even
thought this is
obviously where it will be most useful. Personally I would find something
like SafeHtml
better than @WebSafe. It would also tie the constraints less to a layer.
IMO it also communicates
its purpose better.

> Maybe it would also be a good idea to have a separate library
> exclusively for custom constraints which could be used from everywhere
> ("HV Commons" or similar).

I think it is to early think about a new module/library. As said, I don't
see this constraints
necessarily tied to a layer and without at least a couple of concrete
layer specific constraints I
think we should wait.

> We already have a CR for 4.2. If we decide to add @WebSafe to HV do
> you think we should add this in 4.2 or to the next release?

My initial feeling is to wait for the next release, but I don't feel to
strongly about this.
However, -1 for a new library/module and +1 for a rename of the constraint.

--Hardy