[seam-dev] Don't we need a Seam - Spring module ?

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Wed Jun 29 09:28:09 EDT 2011

Hi Team,

3 weeks ago I started a consulting mission in a big Insurance company that
is Redhat / JBoss customer. They use most of Java EE 5 implementation
provided by JBoss 5 EAP except for EJB 3. No EJB because it's also a Spring
Shop. One of my missions is to help them to build their next official stack
based on JBoss EAP 6 (which should be out in January). So I try to promote
full Java EE 6 stack (with CDI and EJB 3.1) and put Spring aside as an
alternative/Legacy framework. But it won't work if they don't have a
supported solution to use their old Spring components / Knowledge in this
new stack.
More globally one big objection I encounter very often with the adoption of
CDI (at least in France)  is investment done in Spring. So if we want to
facilitate the adoption we have to provide a Bridge with Spring to allow
devs to integrate the "de facto standard" in the "official standard".
I know that Rick Hightower and CDISource Team wrote a nice extension on the
subject (https://github.com/CDISource/cdisource) but I think such a module
should be endorsed by a company that'll provide support on it like RH.
Seam 2 provided this Bridge so it seems normal to provide it as well in Seam
3.
What is your opinion ?

Thanks,

--